“She was sent to jail today,” the Taunton Clerk of Court told Radar on Feb. 11. “She was sent to the Bristol County House of Corrections.”
A somber Carter, now 22, chopped off her long hair and appeared with a pixie cut in court before she was taken into custody.
The clerk told Radar it was a “very quick hearing. It took about three minutes.”
Judge Lawrence Moniz reviewed Carter’s attorney’s request to again keep her out of jail while they pursued a further appeal, but he denied the request and she was immediately taken away.
She was only 17 when she encouraged her boyfriend Conrad Roy III to commit suicide, an action the judge found was “wanton and reckless,” after reviewing 20,000 text messages between the couple.
Carter was sentenced to two and a half years in the Bristol County House of Corrections, with 15 months to be served and the balance to be spent with probation in August 2017, more than three years after Roy’s death.
As Radar previously reported, the Massachusetts State Supreme Court denied her appeal of her guilty decision on Feb. 6, 2019.
According to documents obtained by Radar, the court judges said: “The evidence against the defendant proved that, by her wanton or reckless conduct, she caused the victim’s death by suicide. Her conviction of involuntary manslaughter as a youthful offender is not legally or constitutionally infirm. The judgment is therefore affirmed.”
“We conclude that the evidence was sufficient to support the judge’s finding of proof beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed involuntary manslaughter as a youthful offender, and that the other legal issues presented by the defendant, including her First Amendment claim, lack merit. We therefore affirm,” the appeal ruling stated.
During her trial, prosecutors presented the damning text messages exchanged between Carter and Roy in the days, hours and minutes leading up to his suicide in a K-Mart parking lot in July 2014.
“You’re so hesistant (sic) because you keep overthinking it and pushing it off. You just need to do it Conrad. The more you push it off, the more it will eat at you,” Carter texted to Roy on July 12, 2014 as he doubted his decision to kill himself.
The same day she sent him another text that said: “You’re ready and prepared. All you have to do is turn the generator on and you be free and happy. No more pushing it off, no more waiting.”
Conrad’s mother Lynn Roy filed a $4.2 million wrongful death lawsuit against Carter and a hearing was scheduled for late February.
Stay with Radar for updates to the story.
We pay for juicy info! Do you have a story for Spiel News..com? Email us at email@example.com, or call us at 800-344-9598 any time, day or night.