Lisa Lillien is the author of the popular Hungry Girl website and email newsletter, featuring smart, funny advice on guilt-free eating. She is also the author of twelve books, six of which debuted at number one on the New York Times Best Sellers list. Read her PEOPLE.com blog every Monday for slimmed-down celebrity recipes and more.
When you’re watching football with your pals, you probably never think, “I could really go for some veggies right now.” Snacking on hot wings, nachos, and pizza is more likely to happen! But with dishes like this one, you’ll never have to choose. You can get that buffalo wing flavor with a good-for-you veggie base.
Bonus: No gnawing chicken off the bone or getting your hands covered in bright orange sauce.
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Zucchini Boats
8 oz. raw boneless skinless chicken breast
Dash each salt and black pepper
2 large zucchini (about 12 oz. each)
2 tbsp. fat-free plain Greek yogurt
1 tbsp. light/reduced-fat cream cheese
1 tbsp. Frank’s Red Hot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce
2 tbsp. chopped scallions
2 tbsp. finely crumbled blue cheese
¼ cup shredded carrots, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lay a large piece of heavy-duty foil on a baking sheet, and spray with nonstick spray.
2. Place chicken on the center of the foil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Cover with another large piece of foil. Fold together and seal all four edges of the foil pieces, forming a well-sealed packet.
4. Bake for 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
5. Meanwhile, prepare zucchini. Slice off and discard stem ends of zucchini. Pierce zucchini several times with a fork. Place on a microwave-safe plate, and microwave for 3 minutes.
6. Flip zucchini and microwave for 3 more minutes, or until softened. Pat dry. Let cool, about 5 minutes.
7. In a small bowl, combine yogurt, cream cheese, and hot sauce. Mix until uniform.
8. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Gently scoop out and discard the inside flesh, leaving about ¼-inch inside the skin. Thoroughly pat dry.
9. Remove baking sheet from oven. Set temperature to broil.
10. Cut packet to release hot steam before opening entirely. Transfer chicken to a medium bowl. Shred using two forks. Add hot sauce mixture and scallions, and mix well.
11. Place hollow zucchini halves on the baking sheet. Fill with chicken mixture, and top with blue cheese.
12. Bake until entire dish is hot and cheese has softened, about 1 minute.
13. Top with finely chopped carrots.
WATCH THIS: Take 5: Five-Minute Caprese Garlic Flatbread
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Nutritional Information: 1/4th of recipe (1 stuffed zucchini half): 120 calories, 3.5g total fat (1.5g sat fat), 297mg sodium, 6g carbs, 1.5g fiber, 4g sugars, 16g protein
‘Til next time… Chew the right thing!